Student residence permit is regulated in Articles 38-41 of the Law on Foreigners and International Protection No. 6458. Additionally, student residence permit is issued in Articles 35-39 of Regulation for Implementation of the Law on Foreigners and International Protection.
Who May Apply To Student Residence Permit?
– Foreigners who shall receive primary or secondary education and who do not hold a family residence permit (Without taking a residence permit, foreigners can continue studying until they are 18 (for primary and secondary education). However, when they are over 18 and still go on taking secondary education, those students are required to take a residence permit.)
Foreigners who shall attend an associate, undergraduate, graduate or postgraduate program or receive education for specialty in medicine (TUS) or in dentistry (DUS) are issued residence permits. Student residence permit ensures the student to be only the supporter of spouse and children in family residence permit applications. It does not provide any right to the other relatives about residence permits.
For How Long May The Student Residence Permit Be Issued?
If the period of study is less than a year, the duration of the residence permit shall not exceed the period of study.The residence permit may be issued for the period of stud to foreigners who shall receive education in Turkey through state institutions and organizations. Foreigners who shall receive primary and secondary education, subject to the consent of their parents or legal guardian a one-year student residence permit may be granted and renewed throughout the course of their study.
Health Insurance in Student Residence Permit
Another health insurance is not required if the students request general health insurance within three months from the date of admission according to the rules of Social Insurance and General Health Insurance Law. However, private health insurance is required if they lose the right of carrying insurance by not requesting it within three months.
- In case of a faculty or department change in the same educational institution or change in an educational institution in the same province, on the condition of not taking a break in studentship and announcing in time, current residence permit is preserved. If the residence permit period is shorter than period of study, it is extended as much as period of study from the expiration.
- In cases where the foreign continue his education in a different province, current residence permit shall be cancelled and a new residence permit valid for the duration of the education shall be issued by the governorate.
Right of work for (foreign) students
Foreign students attending an associate, undergraduate, graduate or postgraduate programme in Turkey may work, provided that they obtain a work permit. However the right of work for associate or undergraduate students starts after the first year (of their study). Work permit applications shall be made to the Ministry of Labour and Social Security.
What Are The Reasons Of Refusal, Cancelation Or Non-Renewal Of Student Residence Permits?
Under the following cases a student residence permit shall not be issued, be cancelled if has been issued, be refused renewal when:
– The requirements for issuing a student residence permit are not met or no longer apply;
– Evidence exists that the studies are possibly not to be continued;
– It is determined that the student residence permit has been used for a purpose other than it is issued for;
– There is a current removal decision or an entry ban to Turkey with respect to the foreigner